Flood is the one of the worst nightmares anyone can ever experience. No matter, whether it is caused by falling or ground water or due to any malfunction in your home water system. There are some of the practices that you will require to employ right within first 24 hours after flood to ensure further safety of your family as well as home.
The damage that is caused by major flood can be sometimes overwhelming and many homeowners with the flooded homes don’t know from where exactly where to start with flood cleanup effort. Well, read to know the best tips that you will need to follow after flood damage.
Call Your Insurance Company Right Away!
After the flood, you must notify your insurer as soon as possible. It is always best idea to keep the local agents’ as well as insurance company’s phone number with you. In the cases where the flood has affected a particular region or any community, your agent might be already bust in handling their own flood issues. Well, in that case, ensure to contact the headquarters of the insurance company. You will likely require working with your insurer in order to determine cause of flood and extent of the coverage.
Avoid the Additional Risks
If the flood was serious for you to leave your house, make sure to stay safe upon your return. You must check out for any kind of visible structural damage like warping, cracked foundation elements, holes, cracks, etc before you enter your home. Plus, ensure to contact the utility companies right away if you suspect any kind of damage to the gas, water, sewer, or electric lines.
Moreover, it is even important to have working flashlight. Even if power isn’t operational, it is always a good idea to turn off the main along with any individual fuse connections. In this way, if the power gets reactivated, you are not at all at risk for mixing water and electricity.
Document the Damage
Before you make any repairs or remove any water, ensure to document the damage properly by taking clear videos and photos. Generally, digital versions are the best since they can be easily stored, copied, and shared electronically. Documenting is important before you make any repairs since you can potentially decrease extent of your overall coverage if you fail to do so. It will even eliminate all kinds of possible disputes between your insurance company and you over what things were damaged and which of the repairs have been done.
Mitigate the Mold Damage
Well, mold can easily develop within just 24-48 hours of the flood. So, ensure to remove the wet contents including bedding and carpeting immediately. If any item has been wet for lesser than 48 hours, it is possible that it might be salvageable. However, you will require deciding whether it holds enough sentimental or monetary value to do so.
Notify your insurance company before you remove items to make sure that you aren’t affecting the coverage. Always document flood soaked items.
Mold growth may be controlled on the surfaces by cleaning with non-ammonia detergent or disinfecting with bleach solution. Ensure to test this solution on small area of to ensure that it doesn’t cause fading or staining.
Secure Your Property Well
Being a homeowner, it is your responsibility to safeguard your property to prevent from any kind of additional damages. You can keep boards over the broken windows and secure tarp as protection in case the roof is damaged. Here again, take proper photographs so that you can prove to the insurance company that you have indeed done your best in order to protect your house against any further damage.
If home is habitable, you need to take proper precaution to keep you as well as your family safe from any kind of injury. You can even use flashlight to move around the dark rooms. In case the house isn’t habitable, do not even try to stay there. You can move to alternate location or any shelter.
Now you know how the aftermath of the floodwaters can wreak havoc not only on homes, but also on businesses. At this stage, selecting an experienced and knowledgeable professional to protect your home is essential. The best expert will greatly help you in restoring the damage caused by the floods and make the entire process as easy as possible. However, choosing the right one for this job is essential since the wrong one may even make the problem worse. Well, take a look at the following suggestions and know the best tips to end up hiring skilled contractor for the job.
Suggestions that will help you choose the best flood damage restoration company
- It is always a better idea to hire the company that has sound experience when it comes to dealing with the insurance policies. They will help you greatly in working with insurance companies, mitigate your costs, and ultimately lessen your stress.
- Know the difference between a cleaning service and water damage restoration company. While a cleaning service can be cheaper and can help your home smell and look better after damage, they won’t take care of any kind of repairs. On the other hand, choosing a flood or water damage restoration company will relieve your stress since they will take care of your overall home’s structure as well as harmful particulates and will make sure that your home is secure to occupy.
- Generally, the companies having good reputation won’t mind in offering any references. A reliable and reputable company will offer your certified and trained technicians to successfully assess as well as restore your home.
- Always compare quotation as well as the service inclusions of minimum three restoration companies to choose the best one amongst all.
- Use the power of Internet. You can easily check out the social media feedback on two to three of the companies that you are considering as well as ratings that these companies have received.
You can relieve your stress greatly by hiring the right flood restoration company. Just make sure to follow the above tips as well to prevent any kind of further damage to your property.